Monday, December 22, 2014

French Dip Sandwiches

As adapted from April 2014 Food Network Magazine

French Dip Sandwiches

3 scallions
2 tsp fresh thyme (I used dried)
1 clove garlic crushed (I used more - minced from a jar)
Kosher salt and ground pepper
1/4 tsp celery seeds
1/4 tsp ground allspice 
1 - 2.5 pound beef eye round roast, fat trimmed
2 carrots sliced 1 inch thick
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 cube beef bouillon
6-8 kaiser rolls
Horseradish or spicy mustard for serving

Pulse scallions, thyme, garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, celery seeds and allspice to make a paste. Pierce the roast all over with a paring knife. Rub the paste into the meat. Tie the roast with kitchen twine so it keeps its shape.

Spread carrots in a slow cooker. Put roast on top. Insert thermometer into roast's center so you can read it through the glass. 

Combine 1.5 cups water, Worcestershire sauce and bouillon cube in microwave safe bowl. Microwave 2-4 minutes until hot. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until meat is 120-130 degrees for medium rare, about 2 hours.  Transfer meat to a cutting board and cover with foil - rest 15min. Skim excess fat from liquid.

Slice meat thinly. Spoon liquid onto cut sides of bun, sandwich with meat and serve with mustard or horseradish. Serve more liquid for dipping.


The kids were away when i made this.  Husband of Cheerios and I both felt the same about this. It smelled great and tasted boooooooring. Very disappointing.

We will not make this again.

1 comment:

Susan/KyliesMom said...

I get so excited when you guys post a new recipe, I've tried quite a few! I especially like that you post things that you don't like, too. I've always wondered, should I try making a roast?? And this just confirms my suspicions that I shouldn't bother lol. Thanks :)