Monday, December 12, 2011

Heather's Imitation of DaDeO's Appocado Salad

Now that Brad and I live outside the city limits we don't often go out to eat anymore. On December 3rd my cousin Kendra was visiting from Medicine Hat so we headed to Whyte Ave for the evening with a reservation at DaDeO's New Orleans Diner & Bar. The entire meal was delicious! The crab cakes, Po'Boys and sweet potato fries (have changed if you haven't been there awhile and are even better than before) were all divine. What took me by complete surprise was how fantastic the Appocado (apple & avocado) Salad Kendra and I shared was. We debated possible ingredients and even tried to trick the server (he was new) into telling us what was in the dressing, sadly to no avail. Days after I was still thinking about it. I tried googling it to find the recipe but no dice there either. So I tried the next best thing, looking for a Dijon vinaigrette recipe. After reading many recipes I decided on the following honey Dijon vinaigrette recipe from about.com.(http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/oilvinegardressings/r/honeydijonvin.htm)

I did amend the recipe a little bit, I added an extra tbsp of the white balsamic vinegar, and rather than whisking the ingredients I used my immersion blender. Then to get a smooth creamy texture I slowly added the oil while running the immersion blender. Then toss with an even amount of chopped apple and avocado. Spinkle with toasted slivered almonds. Enjoy.


RATINGS:
Heather - 9.5 - "So good, but somethings missing. Shoot I forgot the almonds."
Reno Crew - 9 - "A nice change"

NOTES:
Next time I make the vinaigrette, and there will be a next time, I will try apple cider vinegar (might be a bit tangier) and will use only 1/2 cup olive oil (I think that it will still hold together).
This made a lot of dressing. I only used about 1/3 to toss and coat 1 apple and 2 avocados chopped up.


No comments: