Thursday, September 30, 2010

Beef Marguerite

From the Company's Coming Cookbook Casseroles

1T cooking oil
1 lb/500g ground beef
1 cup onion, finely chopped

1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow corn meal
2T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder

1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk  (I needed more)

Heat oil in frying pan. Add beef and onion. Brown. Transfer to bowl.

Add Ketchup, pepper and soup. Stir. Cool.

In medium sized bowl, measure in flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt and curry. Stir.  Add shortening. Cut in until crumbly.

Stir in milk. Add more if necessary. Dough should be rather stiff. Turn out on floured board. Knead 10-12 times. Roll out to form 12" square. Spread with meat. Roll in jelly roll fashion. Seal seam. Cut into 8 slices. Place in greased pan cut side flat down. Bake in 400F oven for 20-25 min. Serve with mushroom sauce (can of crm of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup water). Serves 4-8.

I *LOVE* this.  I've made it before and I will make it again.  Both Mr.Picky and Miss Almost Vegetarian eat this fairly well.  DH is not a huge fan.

3 comments:

Nita said...

This is my absolute favorite recipe ever. I grew up with this and now make it for my own family and my kids just love it. Absolutely amazing.

Unknown said...

Oh Wow! I found it! Ive been looking for this recipe for years! And i finally found it! I loved making this and it is so simple and tasty...... Thank you!

Laura Reibin said...

Mom used to make this. I loved it then and love it now.. One of my favourites