Thursday, April 1, 2010

My First Post

Hi Everyone! I love food. Cooking, baking, watching Food Network, eating out at nice restaurants, adding to my collection of kitchen stuff (dishes, baking pans, appliances, utensils (how many kinds of whisks does one person need?), muffin cup liners, sprinkles, the list goes on and on), reading cook books, I even enjoy wandering the isles at the grocery store. I am very excited to be part of this blog to have a place where I can chat about one of passions!

Everday Food Magazine from Martha Stewart is my absolute favorite source for new recipes. They are quick and easy recipes and have all sorts of great tips. I have a subscription and I just received issue #71 (yes I have them all) in the mail last week. I like to try new recipes the month I receive them otherwise it seems that I never do. In this issue there are several that have my mouth watering.

Last Saturday Brad and I spent the evening cooking together and tried the Eat Out (at home) Greek Feast recipes on page 49. We made pork souvlaki, greek salad and rice. I rated the meal a 10 and Brad gave it a 9 (10's are reserved for the super fantastic, special occasion meals he says). This meal is definately going to become a regular at our house.

The Marinade
This was easy to prep.
Just olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, fresh oregano, salt & pepper.
I am going to try this marinade on both beef and chicken in the future.



Ready to Chill
I bought a whole pork loin from Costco for this and cubed the meat myself. It is a really inexpensive way to buy pork. $17 and it will be 5 meals for the 2 of us.




Heading to the BBQ
We only let the meat marinate 1 hour. Next time I would give it as much time as possible though (it would just get better and better I think).






Plating!
I was skepticle of the greek salad. When I have tried to make them at home before with greek seasoning mix they haven't thrilled me. This one was AMAZING. Who knew that just olive oil and lemon juice could taste so good!
The dipping sauce was good on the souvlaki but not essential (if you have no other use for the rest of the Greek yogurt I would skip it).



Meal for Another Day!
We doubled the recipe and then sealed up the extras with the FoodSaver and put them in the freezer. I have frozen store bought ones before so I figure this should work great. I will let you know.





















No comments: